We have been working on a new Web interface for Pi-hole (referenced internally as Next Gen Admin or NGAdmin). The existing interface built off of AdminLTE has served us well, but we have grown beyond the capabilities of an existing template. We’re also looking to implement an HTTP API.
Why Are We Developing A New Interface?
This new interface shares a lot of the visual appearance with the existing one, but it has a lot more going on underneath the hood. One of the biggest benefits is that it removes the need for PHP on the server.
The new interface also:
- eliminates the reliance on server-side rendering scripts
- eliminates spaghetti code resulted from heavily modifying the base AdminLTE template
- makes it easier for new developers to figure out the code, which speeds up development
- makes the split between client and server code much more explicit
- allows us to easily generate fake data for testing