Using Pi-hole, there doesn’t seem to be any shortage of people discovering strange, worrisome, or surprising things happening on their network. Take a look through our latest compilation of these discoveries from around the Internet.
- Part one: What Really Happens On Your Network?
- Part two: What Really Happens On Your Network?
- Part three: What Really Happens On Your Network?
- Part four: What Really Happens On Your Network?
- Part five: What Really Happens On Your Network?
- Part six: What Really Happens On Your Network?
Strange Or Shocking discoveries
- The “Burn Your House Down” Samsung oven found thanks to Pi-hole
- Facebook being accessed even though no one in the family has an account
- *.home domains being queried
- 3am calls to Google and Amazon
Queries for strange domains or strange patterns on the graphs
- A strange sawtooth pattern detected on a network graph
- This user had a device repeatedly contacting musicbrainz.org
- 50% of all traffic is blocked
- 48% of all network traffic belongs to sync.com
- What is utopia.net?
- 56% of domains being blocked (mostly mobile apps)
- undefined domain in the log
- An Android phone queries segment.io
- vvziqyahhmq.bid and vfayoytjil.bid being queried
- mus.lenovo.com being queried regularly
- win17010.ipv6.microsoft.com being queried (teredo)
- Strange queries to 0-undefined.facebook.com
- A TP-LINK KC120 camera is querying random domains every minute even when “off” (a thread is open on TP-LINK’s forums)
- dnsdumpster.com being queried after installing a script
Excessive Queries For Domains
- User’s Pi-hole installations query api.github.com every ten minutes (shame on us for making it onto our own list–we know)
- ereddit.com gone wild
- Windows NT phone…home…
- A Chromecast queried NTP servers every second
- fast.com queried quickly (every minute)…
- Lots of queries for Google storage
- A cheap Chinese IP Webcam hammers Pi-hole with queries
- Excessive calls home to belkin.com from a Linksys router
- Alexa devices query example.com,.net, and .org
- A user noticed a sudden rise in queries from a Netgear ReadyNAS
- googleadservices queried every second
- 22,000 queries to send Amazon metrics
- And again, more Amazon metrics
- and more Amazon metrics
- Metrics from Akami are also happening
- …and Adobe as well
- MalwareBytes telemetry every two seconds
- Windows 10 telemetry…